Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dalmatia

So I'm now 1500 miles away from where I was last weekend (in Riga),
and I finally stumbled upon some nice weather. I left off in Vienna,
so on Friday I wandered the streets all day and then went to the
supermarket to prepare for my 19 hour overnight train to southern
Croatia. I'm going to quote what Eurail says about night trains
"Imagine gently rocking to sleep to the rhythm of the rails and
arriving at your destination the next morning relaxed, refreshed, and
ready for a day of sight seeing." so that's what they had to say, this
is my interpretation in accordance with my 19 hour voyage: Imagine
sweating yourself to sleep, in a couchette with 5 Austrian strangers
and no AC, and being awoken three times in the middle of the night by
the Austrian police, Slovenian police, and the Croatian police, all on
a train that has no bar car, and arriving at your destination looking
closer to dead than alive. So that about sums up Friday night.

Anyway I arrived here Saturday morning to beautiful weather and Marie
Lemay (the frenchie I met in Latvia) walking off the boat she had been
sailing on for the past week. It was like I had never seen sunshine
before, so as soon as I showered a day's worth of train dirt off we
took it down to the beach for the whole day. I couldn't have asked for
a better day. We went to a Mediterranean restaurant last night, where
I made the mistake of ordering "fishes". I forgot that I was going to
get about 10 tiny little fish and then have to negotiate the ribs out
of each one. It was more frusterating than it was delicious. After
that we found a "Billiards" bar and shot some pool for awhile. The
forecast was for 80% chance of rain today, so we were thinking of
dipping out to some island further south, but we walked out into
sunshine this morning, so spent another day walking the coast and
laying around on the pebbles of the Adriatic shores. Probably going to
go Hvar island tomorrow, maybe for the day or maybe more, depending on
how cool it is. Happy Father's Day, Dad! I'll try to find a phone
around here sometime tonight. Peace to y'all