Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Lithuania: Not Internet friendly

Ah so it's been a hectic couple of days. We left tallinn at 5am on
monday morning, so obviously we made the decision to stay up all night
before we left. We flew to Vilnius, lithuania on a hang glider with an
engine. I hate turbo props. We got there and got on a van. A van, to
carry 15 people traveling with all their stuff? Yes, after 20-30
minutes of complaining we all piled in, with suitcases and backpacks
being shoved in laps and every ounce of floor space. For a 4 hour bus
ride. So needless to say we get here and everyone is pissed. And then
they tell us we have to do our walking tour of the city because it was
supposed to rain today. You can speculate on our attitude yesterday
night at our welcome dinner. After that we went back and grabbed
showers and went to a cool jazz bar in the old town, the name of which
I will get later on tonight.

Today we were served breakfast in our room (awesome) and then we got
on a ferry headed to Curonian Split, which is the equivalent of a
barrier island that is a hundred miles long. I would post pictures,
but due to lack of Internet access (anywhere in the city), I am typing
this on my iPod sitting outside a hotel. So we went to an old fort
that has been turned into the Lithuanian sea museum. So I came 3000
miles to go to an f-ing aquarium. We then joined about 600 eight year
olds to watch a dolphin show. While I was impressed I would have much
rather spent my morning at the soviet missle base that is about an
hour away. The split looks really cool, and hopefully tomorrow we will
have some time to go back and explore the national park and beaches.
This afternoon we had our first lecture at the University of Klaipeda
on Lithuanian economic impact in the rest of Europe. While it was
painfully obvious that the guy was an old commie, it's been
interesting to get the old soviet point of view on everything. So
after 3 hours of that, john, thomas and I are now all having a
svyturys outside this hotel. That's local beer here, and our first
company visit tomorrow is at their brewery. That's about all for now,
hopefully we can get internet working at the guesthouse and I can post
some pictures later on. We are headed to the black cat pub, I'll let
you know how it is tomorrow.